Sunday, October 5, 2008

Outside reading post #2

So I was reading this article I found on the MSN homepage about how falling asleep to bad smells can promote bad dreams. It said that, because the sense of smell part of your brain is connected to where your long term memory is stored, the things you smell are closely related to the things you remember, good or bad. So if someone had a bad expirience with skunk smell (maybe got sprayed?) they would have a bad memory connected to that smell. Then, if that person fell asleep to something that smells somewhat like skunk they're more likely to have a bad dream, or maybe even a nightmare. I'll have to report back whether there is an adverse effect (Good smells=Good dreams). I have been thinking of testing this out, though falling asleep to skunk smell doesn't sound pleasent...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, there! My name is Matt, and I'm a student at the U of MN - your teacher might have told you guys that U of MN students would be reading and commenting on your blogs. So here I am.

I like what you've done to customize your blog. I'm kind of a Brawl fan, myself, so it's cool to see the Bowser card at the top.

I see the blogs aren't just for literature readings, and actually it's nice to see you're not just using it for class.

I can't say I've ever gotten sprayed by a skunk just before going to bed. I've heard, though, that people basically dream about the day's events more often than not, so I can see how good smells and bad smells right before sleep can have a big effect. Interesting stuff!