Monday, October 27, 2008

Billy Collins

I'm a really big Billy Collins fan let's face it I'm a huge poetry geek in general. I found one of my old Billy Collins anthologies in my close the other day called The Trouble with Poetry. I was reading it over again and I rediscovered a few of my favorite works of his. The first poem I read was called The Car Ride. When I first read that poem, I had not been exposed to much of Collins' work and I was thouroughly entertained by his sense of dull and sarcastic humor that I find myself having more and more. The next poem I refound was The Reaper, telling about what I speculate to be, an expirience with death, as he described a drive on a country road and seeing a very casually adorned reaper dressed in jeans and a t-shirt. The last poem, that happens to be my favorite is called See No Evil. This poem expresses Collins' wit again as he describes what those infamous monkeys, sitting on the shelf, blocking out the evils of the world, might be thinking or thinking of doing.

No comments: